Low-Income Assistance Programs
If you find yourself having trouble paying your heating bills, please call 877-267-4764 and we will direct you to available assistance in your area.
Minnesota Gas Affordability Program
Great Plains Natural Gas offers its Minnesota customers a Gas Affordability Program (GAP)* designed to help qualifying residential customers manage their monthly gas bills and pay past due balances. To qualify for the program, customers must have received a Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) grant for the current heating season. If accepted into the GAP, customers can receive credits on their monthly natural gas bill.
- To apply for the GAP program, complete and submit the following application to
The Salvation Army, 2445 Prior Avenue N, Roseville, MN 55113-2714.
- For more information, call Great Plains Natural Gas at 877-267-4764 or The Salvation Army at 1-888-733-8033.
For further information regarding applying for heating assistance, visit our Minnesota Gas Affordability Program page.
GAP benefits include:
- Helping customers manage their monthly natural gas bills and pay past due balances by providing flat monthly payments.
- Allowing participants who continue to make payments to avoid having their natural gas service shut-off.
GAP Offers Qualifying Customers Two Types of Credit:
- Monthly Affordability Credit for current natural gas charges: Your monthly natural gas charges will be averaged for the year. Qualifying customers will receive a monthly credit so your annual gas bill will not be more than 4% of your household income.
- Matching GAP Installment Credit for past due natural gas charges: Great Plains will set up a GAP Installment Plan to help you pay off your past due bill over a period of up to 24 months. Each month you pay your GAP Installment amount, a matching GAP credit will be applied to your account. If you make your payment each month, you will be paying for only one-half of your past due balance.
Conditions of Service:
- Enrollment participation is limited to a first come first served basis until the estimated GAP dollar cap is reached.
- If a qualified customer fails to pay two consecutive monthly payments in full under the GAP, they will be terminated from the GAP and will be subject to Great Plains’ regular collection practices including the possibility of disconnection.
*GAP is offered under the Gas Affordability Program Tariff and is subject to annual regulatory review by the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission.
Minnesota Cold Weather Rule
Policies regarding the disconnection of residential heating sources from October 15 through April 15 are governed by Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 216B. Minnesota PUC Cold Weather Rule.
Minnesota Customer Service and Billing Rules
Utility customer service is governed by Minnesota Rules, Chapter 7820. Minnesota PUC Customer Service and Billing Rules.
North Dakota Assistance
If you find yourself having trouble paying your heating bills, the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps low-income households pay part of their energy bills. You can find out if you are eligible for this program by calling 877-267-4764 and we will direct you to available assistance or by checking North Dakota Department of Human Services about programs to help individuals and families in your area.